Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions Page. Here you will find some of the answers to your questions.

If you have any other queries not covered here, please feel free to call us, 021 436 7992.

Ancestry

The Paternal Lineage test examines the Y chromosomal DNA that is passed on from father to son. As females inherit only the X chromosome from both parents, they are unfortunately exempt from this test. Females can access this information by testing a male relative, such as a brother, father or paternal uncle.

If you are female, but would like to have a paternal lineage test done, you could have your father or a male sibling submit samples on your behalf. Please note that they would have their names rather than yours on the results.

Our ancestry tests cannot provide detailed information about the specific countries or Irish counties that you ancestors may have originated from. At most, we can provide you with an indication of the cultural regions that your ancient ancestors may originate from.

We can only identify the haplogroup that your ancestors belonged to. This test does not provide information about a person’s ethnicity.


Mitosearch is a public access online database of mtDNA sequences where you can find matches and potential relatives.

Ysearch is a public access database of Y-STR profiles where you can find matches and potential relatives.

Our ancestry tests provide information about the ancient origins of your family line up to tens of thousands of years ago. However, we cannot provide information about your lineage from the last few hundred years.

Animal DNA Testing

We can only confirm or exclude the relationship between a suspected mother and offspring pair tested against each other.

We would need either a blood or hair sample from the sire as well as at least one of his offspring to perform a paternity test. This applies to all species.

Paternity and other biological relationship DNA tests

Cheek swabs are considered the most reliable and convenient method of sampling DNA. In cases where it is not possible to use a swab, we will accept alternative samples, though we cannot guarantee a successful result with these samples. Because of this uncertainty, we will initially carry out a viability test to ascertain if there is enough DNA present. If this is successful, you can progress to a standard DNA Test. Please note that the viability test carries an additional charge. You can contact us for more details.

You would need to do a court admissible test.

In cases where two parties are unknown to another, or unable to take the test at the same location, it is possible to send separate kits to two different addresses. If this is required, please contact us to ensure that the kit is split.

Yes, the kit is delivered in a flat A5 envelope with no company markings on the exterior. It is completely confidential.

Unfortunately, we can only confirm a suspected relationship between two people using their respective samples. We cannot identify a person’s parent using only their own DNA.

A standard paternity test takes 7-10 days. Other relationship tests (siblingship, avuncular, grandparentage) could take slightly longer. Ancestry results are reported 6-8 weeks from receipt of samples.

If a man is confirmed as the biological father, the likelihood of paternity is reported as 99.99% or greater. If he does not share the same genetic material as the child, the likelihood of paternity is 0%.

Hard copies of documents are stored in a secure facility for up to 5 years. Soft copies of reports may be available beyond 5 years.

No, once dried, the samples will last for a very long time.

Yes. All participants must sign the submission form when taking a DNA sample. Children under the age of 16 must have a guardian provide written consent on their behalf.

The test price includes testing the mother’s sample, but we do not absolutely require her sample if she does not wish to participate, or is unavailable for testing.

Yes, but you would have to cover the courier fees yourself if necessary. The additional fee must be paid up front when making your order.

Load More